A blog by Nikki Dudley about the gaps in everyday life...


Monday, 17 September 2012

Non-US self-publisher? Find help!

Hi all,

I've been having nightmares trying to sort out my tax details for publishing with Amazon KDP, Createspace and Smashwords. If you are a non-US self-publisher, you will be charged 30% tax on your royalties by the US, unless you get this special number to exempt you.

I'd heard about the ITIN, which is meant to be the number for individuals, taking months on end to arrive. Plus, lots of notarizing passports and paperwork. It sounded horrific.

Luckily, I stumbled across a site, run by an author called Catherine Ryan Howard, who upon experiencing similar hell, has gotten another author to find a simpler route. You can apply for something called an EIN, which is fine if you act as a self-employed author.

When they ask what type of business you are applying for, this worked for me: ‘I’m a self-employed author registering for compliance with withholding for Amazon.com’.

Anyway, here is the amazing blog here: http://tinyurl.com/8o2bxl3

I hope it saves you hours of trouble too!



Search This Blog