Right, here are the answers for my first lines competition. Not too many guesses but still, here it goes...
1) It was love at first sight. The first time Yossarian saw the chaplain he fell madly in love with him. - Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
2) The beginning is simple to mark. - Enduring Love by Ian McEwan
3) If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. - Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
4) The gunman is useless.I know it. He knows it. The whole bank knows it. - I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak
5) If I had smoked, it might have been easier. - A Matter of Death and Live by Andrey Kurkov
6) On November 11, 1997, Veronika decided that the moment to kill herself had-at last!-arrived. - Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho
7) It was a wrong number that started it, the telephone ringing three times in the dead of night, and the voice on the other end asking for someone he was not. -The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster
8) One day in August a man disappeared. - The Woman in the Dunes by Kobo Abe
9) When the phone rang I was in the kitchen, boiling a potful of spaghetti and whistling along to and FM broadcast of the overture to Rossini’s “The Thieving Magpie,” which has to be the perfect music for cooking pasta. - The Wind-up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami
10) 124 was spiteful. Full of a baby’s venom. - Beloved by Toni Morrison
11) I am telling you this just the way it went/ with all the details I remember as they were,/ and including the parts I'm not sure about. - Make Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff
So, which ones did you get? And what are your favourites?